Cincinnati Bridge Association

Board of Directors Meeting

Minutes of the March 4, 2008 meeting



President Patti English called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm


Members present:

Patti English, Potter Orr, Barb Levinson, Bob VeVerka, John Burpee, Debbie Cummings, Pat Dutson, Adrienne Netherwood, Mike Lipp, Pat Newman, , Mike Purcell, Betty Hurst, Gayle Keaney


Members absent:

Mike Purcell, Everitt Kitchen



President Patti thanked Debbie Cummings and Larry Klein for all of the extra work they have done in the last few weeks.


John Burpee and Mike Lipp will be a nominating committee to replace Mary Clifton.


STaC director fees were discussed and Potter will review the fees and make a recommendation at our next meeting for the next STaC in June.


President Patti distributed a hospitality suite assignment for the Regional for board members. She asked that the volunteers make any necessary switches and let her know.


Gayle presented the library report and the board approved a $350 budget.


Betty Hurst advised the Trustees that NKY board does not need any additional money to purchase a duplimate. It was mentioned that they will probably go with a different system than CBA’s, but may need some help from Potter to upload files to the web site.


Committee Reports


Promotions - John Burpee reported that the promotions committee placed an ad for the regional in Bulletin, will use ACBL for an email blast, an ad in the Midwest Monitor, and another email in April. A survey will also be done at the regional. Alert is ready to mail. John is preparing a Welcome Packet for new members at CBA.


Constitution – Bob discussed a board member’s concern whether to include any statement about our powers with the directors.  It was agreed that this should be considered outside of the constitution. Potter will draft a possible “agreement letter.” It was also agreed that Pat Dutson’s possible new committee would make a recommendation to the board about how to handle these relationships. Bob will forward the Constitution to ACBL, schedule two town-hall type meetings, and post the new constitution on the web site.  Patti will look into how this will be handled on the ballot.


Bridge Buddies – Bob reported that 11/20 of his students have Buddies and have started to play bridge at the center. He felt that this was a strong response and a great way to get new members playing.


Mentor/Mentee – Bob reported that the new online registration has accelerated signups, and believes that the April 6 date may be feasible to start the kick-off session.  If he receives fifty registrations by the end of the week, April 6 will be the date.  If not, it will be held on April 24.


Golden Life Master – It was decided to give this award only to members who have little or no chance of becoming a Life Master due to illness or infirmary. A motion was made and passed to provide Dan Sherman and Don Brunswick the award. It was further agreed that on January 1,2009 that we get a list from ACBL and send a letter telling others who may be eligible for the award.


Pat Newman asked that the board send Descaples a thank you note for all of the things that they have donated to the club. Patti agreed to handle that.



Old Business


New Business


¨           Pat Dutson made a motion (see Director Relationship Committee Handout) that a committee be formed to improve relationships and communication, set goals and expectations, and develop more game directors. The motion was passed. Deb Cummings and Adrienne Netherwood have volunteered to be on this Committee.

¨           Pat Dutson’s proposal for the Member Services Committee was approved by the board.


The meeting was adjourned about 6:50. The next scheduled Board meeting is April 8, 2008.


Respectfully submitted,




Robert F. VeVerka

CBA Recording Secretary