Cincinnati Bridge Association
Board of Directors Meeting
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of February 13, 2009
Board President Potter Orr called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Members present Patti English, Betty Hurst, Everitt Kitchen, Gayle Keaney, Barb Levinson, Mike Lipp, Adrienne Netherwood, Potter Orr , Mike Purcell, AJ Stephani , Chris Schwartz, John Stoppiello. Jean Sturtevant Members Absent: Debbie Cummings, and John Burpee
The minutes of the January meetings were approved.
1. Patti English reporting on the Flying Pig Regional preparations, stressed the need for hospitality teams to have food ready to be served by 10:15 pm , which requires that one member of each team not play that evening. She recommended that the other two members of the team be present when food is delivered by volunteers.
2. Mike Purcell reported that the Education Committee has tabled its intent to require continuation of classes for students as a condition for teaching beginner classes. The committee intends to report on classes for Spring at the next board meeting. Joe Fisher has donated $100 towards the purchase of a projection screen for the club.
Mike made a motion which was seconded and passed for the club to pay the difference between the $100 and the cost of a screen, up to a total cost of $200. Joe has volunteered to make the purchase.
The board also approved an additional $50 to be spent on the projector, for a total of $250.
Mike made a motion that a change be made to the charter of the Education Committee that the committee be empowered to approve teachers and classes without obtaining board approval. After considerable discussion, the motion was passed with the understanding that the committee's authority is limited to approval. The authority for disapproval resides with the Board after review of the committee's negative recommendation.
3. Adrienne Netherwood, Treasurer, presented a profit and loss statement and a
balance sheet for 2008. She pointed out that net income decreased from 18,618.55 to 15, 784.95, a decrease of 2,833.60. This was primarily due to supply expenses which increased from 7,878.53 in 2007 to 13, 165.90 in 2008, an increase of 5,287.37. The increase in supplies was primarily due to the purchase of playing
cards and duplicate boards. The substantial investment in new playing cards and duplicate boards was to improve the quality of play at our sectional and regional tournaments
4. Gayle Keaney made a motion that was seconded and passed to approve a library budget for 2009 of $250, compared to $350 for each of the past two years.
5. Betty Hurst reported that the Mentor Mentee program for 2009 is being organized with featured games on the second Thursdays of each month beginning on May 14 and ending on September 10. Guest speakers will be recruited, and the committee plans to ask the board to approve the program including three free games for mentor mentee pairs at the March board meeting.
6. Chris Schwartz displayed the How-to-Manual she has organized for the recently completed GNT program; reminding other members of John Burpee’s request for job descriptions to be completed by the March board meeting.
7. Ev Kitchen updated the board about progress for the Awards and Member Appreciation Party scheduled for March 24.
8. The meeting was adjourned at 6:54.pm