CBA board minutes March 12, 2013
Pres. AJ Stephani called the meeting to order at 3 minutes after 5 PM. All board members were in attendance and Herb Schapera was present as a guest.
As there was some question about how many of the board members had actually had a chance to read the January minutes, AJ reviewed them for all of us and postponed formal acceptance of those minutes until the next board meeting.
We started the meeting with a review of the 3 priorities:
Membership - some discussion was had but no action taken.
Zero-tolerance - this was to be covered later in the meeting.
· AJ requested that we approve standard unit level funding for GNT teams from our unit. As a reminder, it is customary for the unit to provide up to $500 per team (which is matched by the district board) for teams from our unit. At the January district qualifier the championship strata team was made up entirely of unit 124 members. The A strata team had one member from our unit. The request then was for $500 for the championship team and $125 for the A strata team. Motion was made by AJ and seconded by Gayle Keaney. The motion passed unanimously.
· We have money in hand for the new refrigerator and AJ will be engineering the purchase. The new refrigerator will be bought with a functioning icemaker and connected in the kitchen. The existing refrigerator in the kitchen will be moved to the duplimate room and the old refrigerator discarded. The Deshapelle club has contributed the bulk of the money for this purchase.
· As part of the youth game held on February 23 (which had 6 full tables) our unit had offered to pay for ACBL membership for the youth players involved. Until very recently a youth membership in ACBL was only $5 per year but that did not include receiving the monthly bulletin magazine and it was a very low retention rate. The ACBL has now raised the price of the youth membership to $15 per year but will include the magazine. The Howard Ringel fund will help with funding these memberships and the unit will provide the rest. As of now we have 14 youth membership applications.
· We were all reminded of the change in the editor of the Alert newsletter from Amit Raturi to Steve Moese. Our appreciation was offered to both of these gentlemen.
· AJ told all of us that we now have a supply of business cards for CBA available at the directors table. He asked all board members take a supply and hand them out to anyone who seems interested.
· On Sunday, March 10 the website underwent a substantial change in format thanks in very large part to the efforts of Steve Moese. So far, response to the change has been very gratifying, not in the sense that we have had too many comments, but in the dearth of complaints.
· We were reminded that there is an NLM sectional scheduled at the club May 18 and 19th.
· Our Flying Pig Regional will be the week of June 4 and will be the only regional in the country that week.
· At the recent Indianapolis district 11 board meeting our proposal was approved to split the NAP district finals from our October sectional tournament. The NAP will take place at our club on the weekend before the sectional. Flight be qualification will be on Saturday and flights a and C will be on Sunday. These games will probably take place at 1 PM and 7 PM, but the exact times is up to the district coordinator. This will allow us to change the times for our sectional to 10 AM and 2:30 PM.
· The next meeting of the tournament committee will be Saturday, March 30 at 11 AM.
Exhaustion and time to sign up for the evening game arrive simultaneously at 6:45 PM the meeting was adjourned.